What You Should Know About Carbon Monoxide

- 11:13 am - November 23rd, 2020

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and dangerous gas that is produced when any fuel burns. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a blocked venting system or chimney. AND IT CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of CO can lead to CO poisoning, symptoms of which include:

  • Headache

  • Dizziness

  • Fatigue

  • Shortness of breath

  • Nausea

If you suspect CO is present, act immediately…

If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department. If it’s safe to do so, open windows to allow fresh air to enter the building and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.

If no one has the symptoms, but you suspect CO is still present, contact us right away so that we may check the CO levels in your home and inspect your equipment.

There are ways you can help reduce the risk of CO poisoning. Take the proper precautions to ensure that you and your family are safe from CO poisoning by…

  • Having a Sound Energy service technicians inspect your heating equipment and related venting systems annually, before the heating season begins

  • Installing UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home

  • Not using a gas oven or cooking range to provide space heating

  • Not using portable heaters indoors unless they’re designed and approved for indoor use

  • Not using a barbecue grill (propane or coal) indoors for cooking or heating

  • Checking your appliance exhaust vents for blockage

The use of oil-fired heating equipment in your home is a perfectly safe way to stay warm during the heating season. That said, we hope that by keeping you informed of any potential risks to your health, you can help keep your family safe. Contact us for more safety tips, or for information on our other heating services.