Stay in Control of Your HVAC System
Thermostats are crucial to the operation of a heating system. So when a heating system malfunctions, the thermostat is the first thing you should check!
A thermostat can malfunction for many reasons, which can result in a range of issues such as:
- The heating system not starting up at all.
Temperatures drop, but there’s no response from your furnace or boiler? Consider that your thermostat may not be communicating with the heating equipment.
- The heating system always running.
A malfunctioning thermostat can lead to the system always running as well due to poor communication between it and the system.
- The heating system producing uneven temperatures.
Why is it so cold on one side of the home, but nice a toasty on the other? Cold spots can be the result of a quirky thermostat that keeps switching the heating system on and off.
If you want to figure out whether your thermostat is causing issues, here are some factors to consider:
- Thermostat’s positioning. A thermostat knows to call for heat or to stop calling for heat based on the temperature it is reading. If there’s a heat source nearby, the thermostat’s reading will be inaccurate.
- Thermostat needs cleaning. Dust can cause a thermostat to misread temperatures and prevent communication with the system.
- Thermostat’s age. An old thermostat can stop working, as with any other electronic device in the home.
- Thermostat needs new batteries. If the thermostat is low on power it can create issues with its ability to operate.
Think about your thermostat first when there’s a problem with your heating equipment! It could take nothing more than a quick cleaning of the thermostat to fix a problem. If you think the issue is bigger than a dirty thermostat, then give Sound Energy a call and let our experts help!