A Hybridized Home Heating How-To
There has been a great deal of talk lately about electric heat pumps, especially now with the state’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection pushing them as a year-round comfort solution. In our experience, electric heat pumps typically do not have the power or durability to stand up to a cold New England winter on their own. However, that does not mean heat pumps do not have a place in your home.
Sound Energy recommends heat pumps not only for their summer cooling applications, but also as part of an energy-efficient hybrid home heating system, which combines a new or existing boiler or furnace with an electric heat pump. Here’s how it works:
- An electric heat pump can be installed in any home. Depending on the size of your home and the capacity of the existing heating system, the heat pump’s outdoor condenser will be connected to one or multiple indoor units, directing heat to different zones or rooms.
- On the coldest days of the year, when your boiler or furnace might not be up to the task of heating your whole home, your heat pump can be switched on to provide additional heating power.
- On milder winter days, when you don’t need the full power of your boiler or furnace, your heat pump can take over, saving you on fuel costs and reducing your home’s environmental footprint.
- Certain smart thermostats can determine which equipment is needed and automatically switch over from the fuel-fired boiler or furnace to the electric heat pump and vice versa.
- During the summer, your heat pump can reverse its operations to either complement your existing central air conditioning system or take its place during milder weather.
As a Trane Comfort Specialist, Sound Energy has the installation and service expertise needed to outfit your home with a right-sized hybrid heating system that can fulfill all your year-round comfort needs, efficiently and affordably. Talk to our team today and ask about any rebates and other special offers that may be available for your new boiler, furnace, heat pump or thermostat. We carry it all!